Friday, August 3, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Things, Friday

I have been compiling a list of tips, tricks and money saving ideas.  These are either things that I have experimented with, my mother has taught me or things that I have learned while perusing the wonderful world wide web.  Here they are... 

A few of my favorite things!

Dryer Sheets
Although, I no longer use fabric softener sheets in my laundry routine anymore, I have found other ways to use the left over ones.
-Replacing a filter on a canister vacuum can be quite costly.  Instead, I use a dryer sheet.  It collects all the impurities, as a filter would and it makes your house smell nice in the meantime.
-Does your kitchen garbage can stink?  Mine does, even after a thorough cleaning.  I just throw a dryer sheet in the bottom of the can to cover up those awful smells. 

Toothpaste
Not only do I use toothpaste to brush my teeth, I use it to clean my diamond earrings.  I have cleaned my jewelry with toothpaste for years.  Not once have I bought a jewelry cleaner.  I wouldn't even know how much it costs, but I am sure this is much cheaper. 

Baking Soda
If you have been reading my blog, you know that I have joined in the "NO POO" revolution.  Which I am falling in love with, by the way!  Baking soda has sooo many wonderful uses.  I use a baking soda and water paste (1 part baking soda and 1 part water) to clean my toenails and fingernails.  They turn out so white and fresh looking.  I also use baking soda to mask the smell of a litter box (just sprinkle in with the litter), to help take the "sting" out of a bee sting (or sunburns, insect bites, windburns etc.) and I soak in it when my skin is irritated or when I have sore muscles.  Baking soda has a ton of uses, these are just a few of my favorites.  Oh, by the way.  I did find a recipe that some of you may be interested in.  It is a mixture of cool aid, water and baking soda to create a sports drink like Gatorade.  If you would like the recipe, you will have to "google it."  You will understand once you've read below :) 

Hot Water vs. Clogged Toilets
So, I have found over the years (and by having a son) that sometimes the toilet gets clogged or backed up.  Yuck, right?  Right!  Can you believe super hot water does the trick?  Yes, indeed, just boil a pot of water and dump it into the clogged toilet.  It may take more than one pot full if it is a bad case.  And when I say clogged toilet, I mean, clogged with toilet paper and/or other things that should clog a toilet.  Hot water will not melt the matchbox car that your 18 month old throws in or the occasional watch or a wash cloth (I know this from experience.) Ugh! 

Rubber Bands and Flat Sheets
Flat sheets always were such a waste of money for me, but all the nice sheets came in sets.  I would get the sheets home, wash them and excitedly put the both on my bed.  Tucked in all the right places, they look so fresh, clean and pretty.  That is, until I went to bed and could not stand the feel of them suffocating my feet.  Seriously, I felt like a prisoner in my own bed.  I always ended up undoing my fresh and pretty bed, so much so, you couldn't figure out if it was a flat sheet or a twisted noose.  Can you tell I really detest flat sheets?  Anyway, I had always found other uses such as drop cloths, beach blankets, etc.  Until the light bulb in my head went off (or turned on), and an "uh huh" moment struck.  Use it as a fitted sheet by adding rubber bands to the corners.  Just lay your flat sheet so it evenly falls over your bed, gather the corners in a ponytail like hold, wrap the rubber band around it and then tuck the ponytail under your mattress.  Wallah!  There, you have yourself another fitted sheet!  FYI- take the rubber bands off before washing.

Coconut Oil
The Internet is a buzz about Coconut Oil.  It is the natural oil derived from the coconut.  I am a huge fan of it myself.  There are tons of uses that come from this beautifully UNrefined oil.  Coconut oil can be used as a hair mask for dry or damaged hair and as a facial cleanser.  Yep, you heard me right.  Look up the Oil Cleansing Method, it makes a lot of sense.  I have just begun this regimen myself.  I will keep you updated.  It can be used as a lip balm, an eye makeup remover, a tattoo healer, a massage oil, a personal lubricant, a cracked heel repairing salve and of course in cooking. 

Coconut Oil Heal Repair Salve


You will need
1/2 cup Coconut Oil
1/2 cup beeswax
2 teaspoons Vitamin E Oil
10 drops of your favorite essential oil(s)
(I use Lavender and Tea Tree Essential Oils for their antiseptic and healing qualities)

In a double boiler, add beeswax, Coconut Oil and Vitamin E Oil and melt on a low setting.  Once everything is melted without lumps, take your pot off the heat and add your essential oil(s).  Mix thoroughly and then pour into a glass jar or tin.  Apply all over your feet, paying special attention to your heels.  Best if done right after a shower or bath when your skin is still moist.  I then cover my feet with a pair of cotton socks until the oils soak in and to prevent from slipping and sliding all over my bathroom.  No one needs a pulled groin muscle when trying to repair their cracked heels.  Ouch!

Bananas
I use bananas as the fruit of choice for breakfast.  I have this weird aversion to all the other fruits I love when it comes to my first meal of the day.  Maybe my body was telling me something...or not.  During my recovery I had Chiari related POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome.)  It was my Cardiologist that suggested that I drink at least one sports drink a day to provide my body with the needed potassium and sodium.  I have heard of using Gatorade, Powerade etc. for a quick recovery after running or playing sports.  I detest the stuff!  I always went with good ol' water.  Gatorade not only was high in sodium, but sugars.  I thought my Cardiologist went nuts!  On my next trip to the grocery store, I reluctantly picked up a few sports drinks.  I thought, if anything, I would be well hydrated.  GAG.  Surprisingly enough, it did help with some of my symptoms.  Still, just the thought!  Double GAG.  Then, I found out that bananas, being higher in potassium, serve the same function.  The last, unopened Gatorade went down the drain!  Hallelujah! 

One medium banana contains about 450 mg of potassium and are they are high in antioxidants.  A 32 oz. sports drink contains about 120 mg of potassium and has about 56 grams of sugar.  Research has also showed that three bananas per day would supply all the antioxidants recommended by nutritionists.  Hmmmm!  Gatorade anyone?

Oh yeah, bananas aren't just good for replacing those icky sports drinks.  They can be used to attract butterflies, as a healthy replacement for ice cream and even as face masks.  Plus, the peels can be thrown on a compost pile and used as fertilizer and/or mulch.
Bananas to Attract Butterflies
Place an over ripe banana or banana slices outside on a plate.  If you chose to use a whole banana, poke holes in it to make access points for the butterflies.  This may also attract bees and wasps, so keep your plate above head level or in an unused part of your garden.

Banana Faux Ice Cream
Peel and cut a ripe banana into a few pieces.  Freeze in an airtight container or zipper seal bag.  Once frozen, pop it into a blender and give it a whirl.  Blend to the consistency of ice cream.  YUM!

Bananas as a Face Mask
Smash one medium banana and apply to your face.  Let sit for about 10-20 minutes.  Rinse and pat dry.  You will notice you skin feels softer and more moisturized.


I am continually soaking in all the information that I feel may be helpful to my readers.  If you have any other tips, tricks, money saving ideas and/or comments about the information above...please feel free to comment.  I'd love to hear from you.



Oh, and last, but certainly not least, My Most Favorite Thing This Friday......


my local flea market and this wreck of a table, which I am in love with!

I just loved the old, rustic look it had sitting there in the middle of the dirt and stone (mostly dirt) parking lot.  Plus, it was a whopping $15 and that included three chairs, that are just as old and as rustic looking.  It was a deal that I couldn't pass up!   



All four pieces are badly in need of some sanding, a little paint and some TLC.  Things are a little wobbly, but its nothing I can't handle (on my own) for that amount of money.  I can't wait to show you the finished product!



Have a splendid day!

-Nicole








No comments:

Post a Comment