Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tried & True Tuesday

I have been busy again!  Yesterday, I dirtied all my spoons by roasting vegetables, making spinach pesto and preparing my all purpose citrus cleaner.  I found the citrus cleaner recipe at The Prairie Homestead.  She has a great blog and I love the name.  It makes me want to "return to my roots."

If you have a chronic illness or know anyone who has a chronic illness, please check out the link below!  I had a hard time trying to explain my lack of energy to my 10 year old son, until I found this.  What a great  analogy!  It was an "ah ha" moment for him and a sigh of relief for me.

But You Don't Look Sick

I am a fan of all things pesto.  So, when I saw a recipe name that read...Spinach Pesto.  I thought, oh yum!  I just bought a big bag of fresh spinach and decided to try it out.  I didn't even read their recipe because I have made homemade basil pesto and wanted to do this on my own (and experiment a little bit.)  This is my final recipe and I am impressed with the taste.  If you like spinach, I am pretty sure you will like this.  If you're not a fan...probably not so much!


Spinach Pesto




You will need
about 2 cups lightly packed fresh spinach, washed and dried
6 cloves roasted garlic                                                            
1/4 of a large roasted sweet onion  
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 squeezed lemon (juice)
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
dash of salt and pepper


I put all of the ingredients in my blender, except of the olive oil.  Pulsed it until it was all roughly chopped.  Then, I started to drizzle the olive oil in while it was blending.  It turned out wonderful.  I used it as a bread dip, but I froze the leftovers for the countless recipes that I am creating in my head- uh oh

Pesto, whether basil or spinach has a short (refrigerator) shelf life.  I usually make a batch and then freeze what I can not use up within a week.



I just pour my pesto into an ice cube tray, top off with extra oil, wrap with plastic wrap and then freeze overnight.  Once frozen, remove pesto cubes (quickly, as the oil will melt) and refreeze them in a plastic freezer bag or airtight container.  Pesto keeps in the freezer for about 6 months.  It may keep longer, but it gets used before six months in my house. 
Speaking of freezing extras....I had a whole extra zucchini left over from making my zucchini muffins that I didn't want it to go to waste.  It was a big zucchini that was picked out of my sister's garden.  It put the grocery store zucchinis to shame.  I was also sick of it taking up much needed counter space.  I ended up just grating it, putting it into a freezer bag and into the freezer it went.  Hey, why not!  I figured some cold winter day, when I am reminiscing about the summer days and those lovely muffins, all I have to do is pull it out of the freezer and wallah.

Jeez.  You would think I have a large freezer.  I wish!


-------------UPDATE----------


OK, so my "NO POO" revolution almost came to an end.  My hair is going through the dreaded transition phase.  It feels really gross.  I just about broke out my shampoo and conditioner yesterday.  Instead, I broke out my new hat :) 






I can do it! I can do it!

I did find this nifty little bead holder at Michael's that I put to good use.


  I was tired of dragging the stuff I needed for the baking soda shampoo into the shower.  So, I put the baking soda in each little section and use one at a time.  It holds about one tablespoon per section.  And with six slots, that will last me six shampoos.  I just dump my baking soda into a measuring cup (that I also keep in the shower) and fill it with warm water from the shower.  Smart...I know.


Have a splendid day!

-Nicole




No comments:

Post a Comment