Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Tried & True Tuesday

Tried & True Tuesday


I have come to the conclusion that if I cannot put it IN my body, then I am not going to put it ON my body.

 I have been researching (between naps) the wonderful World Wide Web and reading, reading, reading.  I came across a few books last week at the Goodwill, that I have fallen in love with.  The best thing about them...they were only 49 cents a piece.  You can't beat that!  I hit the thrift store jackpot, also finding two glass mixing bowls, two beautiful mason jars, a kitchen (junk drawer) organizer and a wooden mixing spoon.  I have a very  hard time buying items at full price when I am going to be using them for soap making, body butters etc.  I tend to beat the living hell out of my crafting tools. 


Last week's, thrift store treasures



"NO POO," Day 1

Today was my first day of "NO POO."  I have been reading so many different blogs that swear by the "NO POO" approach to washing and conditioning your hair.  I have been and still am very skeptical, but super excited.  I rinsed my hair, washed with one tablespoon of baking soda mixed in a cup of warm water, rinsed again and then sprayed my hair with one tablespoon of vinegar mixed with warm water.  There are several different combinations and opinions on how much baking soda/water and how much vinegar/water should be used.  You more or less, have to be your own chemist on this one.  If your hair gets too dry, use less baking soda and more vinegar.  If your hair gets too oily, use less vinegar and more baking soda.  I read that it can take a few weeks for your hair to adjust to its normal PH.  It can go through a transition period and your hair can become very yucky!  Keep calm and carry on.  After the transition period is over, you will have the hair of your dreams.  Seriously, it is supposed to give your hair more body, make it more shiny and all without the use of chemicals.  Like I said, this is only day one for me.  I will keep you posted!  Wish me luck :)

You can probably see the lemon and limes peals floating in the large mason jar, in the picture above.  That is another project that I am working on.  An all natural, multi-purpose cleaner.


I am in the early stages, just soaking the citrus peels in a vinegar/water mixture.  I will post the finished product and the results on another Tried and True Tuesday.  I found the recipe on Lexie Naturals.      



OK, on to the real Tried and True.  These are things that I have been doing and LOVE!  For a few weeks, I have been using a slice of lemon and 1/4 of a tablespoon of honey to wash my face.  I only do this about 4 times a week or every other day.  On the off days, I wash with a regular, very mild soap.  My skin is super sensitive and breaks out along my chin.  I don't have blackheads or white pustules, just little bumps.  I hated the way my face would feel when I touched it.  It was GROSS!  I found this idea on Pinterest, but the directions weren't very directional.  So, I just made up my own.  The result...skin that is finally BUMP FREE!!! I couldn't believe it.  Now, I can't live without it. 



Lemon and Honey Face Scrub

1 slice of a lemon (I use left over lemons that I used in my Lemon Mint Water)
1/4 TBSP honey

Drip the honey onto the lemon and use it as a you would a wash cloth to clean your face.  Using a
circular motion, work it into your face.  Let the lemon and honey mixture sit on your face for five minutes and then wipe off with a warm cloth.  You won't see immediate results, but there should be noticeable results with in two days.  LOVE IT!!!


Homemade Deodorant

Again, if I can't put it IN my body, I won't put in ON my body.  Soooo, I made my own deodorant.  And it WORKS!  I used this yesterday and then went to the pool for the afternoon.  I did an armpit check and there was NO smell.  I don't usually smell myself, so I am not sure that my old, store bought deodorant does or doesn't do the trick.  Bottom line, the deodorant that I made is natural and does not contain chemicals!  Love that!

Homemade Deodorant 

1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup corn starch
6 TBSP coconut oil



Mix together in a bowl and then store it in an airtight container (in the refrigerator during warm weather).  I did start with a spoon, but then used my hands (for the warmth) to incorporate it well. 
I used one of my old (hoarded) body butter containers.  You may want to add less coconut oil if it seems too liquidy.



This ugly thing called Chiari Malformation can make experimenting and writing a difficult task.  I hope to post as much and as many natural, DIY recipes and concoctions as possible.  If you find that I have missed a few days, please be patient!  I finally, after two weeks of phone calls, messages and tears, got an appointment with my neurologist.  I am so relieved!  He is wonderful to me, but his office staff lack in empathy.  It should NOT take two weeks to get an appointment.  Wish me luck :)

Have a splendid day! 


~Nicole














2 comments:

  1. Loving these ideas..they seem so easy to make and use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joni-
    Thanks for the nice comments! Easy and inexpensive! I, sometimes don't have the capacity to work on more complicated recipes, so I stick to ones I can handle and complete without any disasters. Lol. Plus, that makes them easier for working moms/dads to complete in a short amount of time.

    ReplyDelete